A runny nose is anything but pleasant. Although it can clear by itself with time, home remedies for runny nose can help to quicken the healing process. Although these may not cure the causes of the runny nose, they will thin the mucus, enhance nasal drainage and with time promote its drying. Apart from the home remedies, there are natural remedies for runny nose as well. These and much more are discussed in this post.
While it may be annoying, a runny nose is a common problem among individuals. You get a runny nose when there is an increase in production of mucus in the nasal passage. This normally occurs when the body is flushing out allergens, irritants, flu and cold viruses.
- 1 Home Remedies for Runny Nose
- 2 Natural Remedies for Runny Nose
Home Remedies for Runny Nose
Although runny noses can clear by themselves, at times they could result in other problems if not treated on time. Using home remedies for runny nose can help to hasten the clearing up of the nose without having to worry about side effects.
Salt Water to Relieve Runny Nose in Babies
This is a great remedy for alleviating the irritation that comes with a runny nose. Salt thins mucus and makes it easy to expel. The nasal passage is also cleared off any irritants. This remedy is good enough for use in babies as well. Mayo Clinic recommends the use of saline solution and suction to get rid of runny nose in toddlers.
- Get two cups of distilled warm water and add to it half a teaspoon of salt.
- Stir these until all the salt dissolves.
- Tilt your head and use a dropper or suction bulb to put a few drops of the remedy into each nostril.
- Repeat the procedures each day for a number of times until you get relief from runny nose.
Eucalyptus Oil to Stop Runny Nose
This oil acts as a decongestant and is an instant cure for runny nose.
- Put hot water in a large bowl
- Add about seven drops of eucalyptus oil followed by four drops of peppermint oil and lavender oil each.
- Cover your head using a towel and tilt the head towards the bowl so the scented steam hits the nostrils.
- Inhale the steam and repeat procedure three times each day.
- Another way to reduce the symptoms of a runny nose `is to put some drops of the oil on a handkerchief and keep inhaling its scent all through the day.
Steam to Dry Up a Runny Nose
This is an effective home remedy for runny nose. It will help in clearing out mucus which may be causing sneezing and a running nose.
- Fill a bowl with hot water and with a towel covering your head, hold your face down. Inhale the steam for ten minutes and blow your nose after the process.
- Adding a few drops of menthol or eucalyptus oil would make the steam more effective.
- The hot steam effect can also be attained by taking a cold shower.
To clear the nasal passage, heat some mustard oil to slightly warm temperatures. Use a dropper to put a drop or two into each nostril. Do this three times each dayThis oil contains antihistamine and antibiotic properties which qualifies it as one of the fast remedies for runny nose.
- Inhale the steam of water that has had a few drops of the oil put in it. This will help to make the system warm
- Since it is edible, it can also be incorporated in food.
This contains mucolytic properties which makes it effective in draining off runny nose. It also contains sulfur which makes it an antibacterial product.
- Get horseradish tincture and add three tablespoons into quarter a cup of water. Use this to gargle.
- Boil onion and horseradish in water for five minutes. Strain and take a cup of the tea three times each day until the runny nose resolves.
- Grate some horse radish root and place half a teaspoon raw. Hold this on until its flavor reduces. Swallow the remedy once the flavor is gone. This should clear up the nasal system within no time. Since its flavor is very strong, always start off with a small amount and incase this doesn’t seem to work, increase the amount.
- Get some grated horse radish and add an equal amount of honey to it. Mix this up and allow it to soak for 10 minutes. Use a gauze or cheese cloth to strain the horseradish syrup out. Boil the remaining residual with water, strain and mix it with the initial syrup. Consume a tablespoon of the remedy three times each day.
Peppermint Remedy for Runny Nose from Cough and Sneezing
This has been used for long especially by people suffering from allergies. It is a great remedy for runny nose allergies. It will relief you from cough and sneezing, irritated mucous membranes and clogged up nose. Peppermint oil also acts as a decongestant, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory agent. It can be added to the vaporizer or the humidifier. Peppermint tea could also help add a teaspoon of it to a cup of hot water. Let it steep for at least 10 minutes before straining. Add some honey to sweeten it and take two cups of the tea each day.
There are products available over the counter for use at home to stop runny nose. These though should not be used for long and manufacturer instructions should be followed for the best results.
Oral Decongestants: These are pills which are taken orally such Sinutab to help stop a runny nose. While using these, take caution as no products should not be taken while pregnant or nursing without the consent of a doctor.
Nasal Sprays: These are effective in getting rid of a runny nose and congestion. You will be expected to put a drop or two into each nostril for a given number of times each day. Follow the given instructions.
Natural Remedies for Runny Nose
Natural remedies for runny nose are an affordable way of treating the condition. They help to restore the normal functioning of smell and taste which normally get affected when one has a cold or a runny nose. Various natural remedies are effective on how to treat a runny nose. These have to be taken consistently for fast recovery.
Honey Remedy for Runny Nose Allergies
The reason why honey is an effective remedy on many conditions is because it possess antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties. It is known to kill the bacterium responsible for your runny nose and can be used in various ways. Ensure you use pure raw honey for the best results.
- You could add two teaspoons of honey into a glass of warm water. Take this two times each day.
- Add some warm water to a cup. To this add two tablespoons of honey, a teaspoon of lemon juice, and a pinch of cinnamon. Have this remedy two times each day until the runny nose stops.
- Add three drops of lemon juice and a tablespoon of honey to a glass of warm water. Drink this up when it is still warm.
- Add two tablespoons of honey into a cup and add to it a pinch of cinnamon powder and a few drops of lemon juice. Mix these up well and take the mixture.
- Extract some holy basil juice and mix it with an equal amount of ginger and honey. Take this mixture each day until you get better.
Using sage for runny nose is an effective way of getting rid of the condition. It contains anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Sage oil can help to get rid of infections. To relieve your runny nose, you can adopt one of the following remedies.
- Put a tablespoon of dried sage leaves into a bowl.
- Pour a cup of hot water into it and steep for five minutes.
- Strain this and add some honey. Take tis tea once daily to relief runny nose.
This is most effective on a runny nose resulting from allergic reactions. The herb is a natural antihistamine and will counter the effect of allergens.
- Fresh or dried nettle leaves can be used to make herbal tea.
- Add half a cup leaves to a cup of water and bring to boil.
- Strain and add honey to taste
- Take a cup of this remedy every day.
Bring to a boil quarter a cup of fresh astragalus root.The root of astragalus has for long been used to treat and cure flu and colds. It contains antioxidants, anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and antiviral agents which act as immune boosters.
- Let it simmer for five minutes before straining.
- Take the resulting tea for relieve from runny nose.
This is an antidote for a runny nose. It is antibacterial, antiviral and anti-inflammatory. It also has antioxidant properties. These will clear up a runny nose. There are different ways through which to use this remedy.
- Take half a teaspoon of turmeric powder with some water to loosen the mucus. You could also add a teaspoon of turmeric to a glass of milk. Take this before going to bed.
- In a cup full of linseed oil, add half a teaspoon of ground turmeric. Heat this mixture until it is smoking. Inhale the smoke through one nostril and change to the other after some time. This will help loosen the mucus.
- Fill a cup with linseed oil and add a teaspoon of turmeric. This will produces some fumes which you should inhale to ease a runny nose by loosening mucus.
This home remedy for runny nose relief is packed with antioxidants and antiseptic agents. These help to provide instant relief for a runny nose by draining it. Ginger is also known to stabilize the body temperature.
- Slice up a ginger root and put the pieces in a cup of water. Boil this for some time and strain the tea. Add some honey to it and take a cup of it
- You could also chew a slice of ginger root three times a day to alleviate the symptoms of a runny nose.
- There also are ginger lozenges available in the market which can be used to treat runny nose.
- To inhale its scent, add two tablespoons of ginger powder into a cup of hot water. Inhale the steam emanating there off.
This has antiseptic and antibacterial properties that are strong enough to get rid of runny nose.
- Chew a clove of raw garlic for relief from runny nose.
- You could also prepare some garlic soup by chopping garlic and leaving it in a cup of water for a while. Strain the mixture before adding sugar. Take this two times a day.
- There also are garlic supplements that one can take for relief from runny nose.
This has the ability to treat runny nose resulting from fungi, bacteria and viruses. It contains sulfur which is responsible for our watery eyes runny nose when cutting them. This is the same component that helps to loosen mucus and drain it easily thus getting rid of the condition.
- Cut an inion into half and smell it to get rid of mild runny nose.
- Slice the onion into some thin pieces and add them to boiling water. Let this boil for five minutes before putting it into a cup or a vessel and inhaling the steam.
This is an effective antihistamine and helps to clear nasal congestion. It is a great running nose treatment as it helps to increase nasal discharge which helps to dry up runny nose. This helps the body to flush out toxins and any blockages that may be resulting in a runny nose. Incorporate this in food or simply inhale it to get instant cure for a runny nose.
A runny nose is the body’s natural way of fighting infections. This should go away with time but the remedies discussed above can help hasten the process. In case the runny nose does not resolve after taking the remedies, see a doctor. Some tips to help reduce runny nose include:
- Applying warm compress on the face will help to alleviate sinus pressure thus open up the air passage.
- To be well hydrated, drink a lot of fluids. These will help to flush out toxins.
- To get rid of the condition fast, stay away from caffeinated beverages.
- Include spices in your meals.
- Keep your home and office humidified. This will thin the mucus.