Home Remedies for Puffy Eyes, Get Rid of Puffy Eyes Naturally
There are many readily available natural and home remedies for puffy eyes. These offer quick relief from puffiness and also have the advantage of getting rid of other eye conditions. To get rid of the condition in the long run, it is necessary to adopt proper eye care and sleeping habits. This post explores the various interventions necessary to get rid of puffy eyes.
Puffy eyes are a common beauty problem and can be such an embarrassment when you have a great event ahead. There are many reasons why you could be suffering puffy eyes. These include puffy eyes from crying, stress, dermatitis, excessive physical activity, genetics, sinus problems, bad diet, sleep deficit, weather changes, hang-overs and from allergic reactions.
- 1 Home Remedies for Puffy Eyes
- 2 Natural Remedies for Puffy Eyes
- 3 Tips on How to Avoid Puffy Eyes
Home Remedies for Puffy Eyes
Getting rid of this condition can be done using natural and home remedies for puffy eyes as well as avoiding the causes as discussed below.
The coldness experienced around the eye when a cold spoon is placed on it helps to tighten the skin around it and reduce puffy eyes. It also helps to relax the blood vessels making it an effective relief for puffy eyes.
- Get four or six metallic spoons and chill them in the refrigerator for around fifteen minutes.
- Pick two spoons and place the rounded part of the spoon on each eye until the spoon starts to feel warm.
- Replace the spoons with another set that is cold until you are done with all of them.
- You could also add some ice cubes into a bowl of water and place the spoons in it. Once they are cool apply them on the eyes. When they get to normal temperatures return into the water and pick a new set.
Tea Bags to Reduce Puffy Eyes
Tea contains anti-irritants that help to soothe irritated and puffy eyes. They also reduce swelling, inflammation and redness. Tea bags for puffy eyes can be used warm or chilled. Both green and black tea bags will work out fine.
- Soak two teabags in some hot water for a while and take them out.
- Drain out excess water and leave them wet but not dripping.
- Leave them to cool down to reasonable warmth to avoid getting burnt.
- While lying down, place the tea bags on the eyelids and use a soft cloth to cover them.
- Allow this to rest on the eyes for at least 10 minutes.
Chilled teabags are also effective. These help to relax and rejuvenate the eyes by constricting the blood vessels and relaxing the skin around the eyes. They are used like discussed below.
- Get some ice cold water in a vessel and dip into it some two teabags.
- Squeeze out the bags and lie down with the eyes shut.
- Place each of the teabags on each eye until the tea bags get to normal temperature.
- You can dip them in the water once more and repeat procedure a number of times and repeat this until there is no more puffiness.
Although excessive consumption of salt can result in puffy eyes, external application of salt on puffy eyes can help to treat the condition. Dissolving salt in water and applying it on the eyes helps to eliminate water retention that may be causing eye puffiness under the eyes.
- Dissolve two tablespoons of salt in a cup of warm water.
- Soak some cotton balls in the solution and place them on the eyes for around ten minutes.
- Repeat procedure as may be necessary until the puffiness goes away.
Nasal Irrigation Remedy for Swollen Eyes from Allergies
This is an appropriate way on how to treat puffy eyes resulting from allergies, flu or sinus problems. Where this is the case, using a neti-pot for nasal irrigation will help to get rid of the swelling on the eyes as it will help to get rid of the cause.
- Warm some water and add to it some salt. A teaspoon for a cup of water would be enough.
- Put the water in the neti-pot and gently insert its tip into the left nostril.
- Tilt the head to the opposite side and let the water flow out through the right nostril.
- Reposition your head and repeat the same for the left nostril.
- When done for both, push out any excess water remaining by exhaling with your head bent forward.
Gentle Eye Massage Relieves the Swelling
Using the hands to massage around the eyes will help to reduce puffy eyes. This is because it will get rid of the excessive fluid that is trapped under the eyes. Gently massaging the area displaces the fluid and makes the condition go away immediately.
- With the eyes closed, press your ring finger under the eye.
- Move the finger in an arch shape starting from the inside to the outside corner.
- Keep repeating this and ensure you are gentle enough not to irritate the sensitive organs around the eye.
- Once done with one eye do the same for the other. Alternatively you could carry out the massage simultaneously using both hands on both eyes.
Cucumbers, a Fast Remedy for Puffy Eyes
Cucumbers are succulent and are a great remedy for puffy eyes. They have astringent properties which help to reduce inflammation. They also help in tightening the skin. The remedy also act as a remedy for dark circles and can get rid of wrinkles around the eyes. Cucumbers are used in making homemade eye masks for puffy eyes but can also be used as a stand-alone remedy. One of the ways on how to get rid of puffy eyes fast is by using chilled cucumber slices.
- Slice cucumbers in thick pieces.
- Chill the pieces for ten minutes.
- Place these on your eyelids until they start to feel warm.
- Repeat this until the puffiness goes away.
Cold Water Splash for Puffy Eyes from Crying
At times, the cause of eye puffiness is a faulty circulation of fluids within the face. Splashing the face with some cold water constricts the blood vessels and allows for reduction of swelling. Splash some cold water on your face for a few seconds and keep doing it until you rid yourself off the puffiness. This can be a perfect way on how to get rid of puffy eyes resulting from crying.
When you are sleep deprived, you are likely to get puffy eyes. Ensure that you get enough sleep and that you also sleep right to avoid puffy eyes in the morning. Use pillows to keep your head elevated and avoid buildup of fluids under your eyes. Also avoid sleeping on the stomach. In case sleeping on the side leaves you with one puffy eye, try sleeping on the back. These sleeping tips should help to reduce puffy eyes in the long term.
Natural Remedies for Puffy Eyes
In some cases, eye puffiness can make you look unwell. This is more so where it lasts long. Some people may not be as confident as they usually are when they have the condition. Fortunately, in addition to the home remedies for puffy under eyes discussed above, there also are natural remedies for puffy eyes. These are equally effective and are quite affordable.
Potatoes to Get Rid of Puffy Eyes Naturally
Potatoes help to pamper the eyes. They have anti-inflammatory properties that make them effective in getting rid of puffy eyes.
- Slice a raw potato in round pieces and allow the pieces to rest on each eye for 15 minutes. Wash off the eyes after this with cold water.
- You could also grate potatoes and squeeze out the juice. Dip two cotton balls in the juice for 25 minutes.
- Blend a peeled potato into a paste. Place the paste in two pieces of clean cloth and place these on the eyes. Remove and wash off with cold water after 15 minutes.
This has vitamin E and antioxidants in it. These are effective in getting rid of puffiness, fighting fine lines and keeping wrinkles away. When applied on puffy eyes, it improves circulation of blood and flushes out fluids from around the eyes. This reduces swelling. When using it, ensure it does not get into the eyes.
- Squeeze out aloe juice from a fresh aloe leaf and apply it on the eyelids. Wait for it to dry up before washing off the area.
- Where fresh aloe gel is not available, purchase some aloe gel from natural food stores and apply it on around the eyes.
These have alpha hydroxy acid which helps to make the skin look young and smooth. It helps to get rid of swelling and under eye puffiness.
- Chill some strawberries for 30 minutes.
- Remove the top part and slice it into halves.
- While lying down, place the pieces on the eyelids for ten minutes.
These are also among the effective natural cures for puffy eyes. The egg whites will help to tighten the skin and get rid of puffy eyes. They can also be used to get rid of under eye wrinkles.
- Have two eggs and separate their yolks from the whites.
- Whip the egg whites until you attain a stiff consistency.
- Using a soft cloth or brush, apply this under the eyes and leave it on to dry for 15 minutes.
- You could add some few drops of witch hazel to make the remedy more effective.
Whole milk has fats that have a smoothing effect. It also contains amino acids, vitamins A and D, proteins and lactic acid. All these work to reduce puffiness on the eyes.
- Place a wash towel that has been soaked in cold milk over closed eyes.
- Let it rest until it attains normal temperature before soaking it once more.
- Keep doing this for at least 30 minutes.
Tips on How to Avoid Puffy Eyes
Although the condition is only a temporary problem, the natural and home remedies for puffy eyes discussed above can help to get rid of it. Where the puffiness keeps recurring, it is possible to prevent it by avoiding what may be causing it. In other situations, getting rid of puffy eyes will just require some better eye care. Some of the tips through which this can be achieved are as discussed below.
- Avoid rubbing the eyes vigorously when you wake up in the morning. Instead, ensure that you carry out a light eye massage before getting out of the bed. Ensure that within the day you also avoid rubbing them.
- In case you wear makeup, watch what you use. Some beauty products could contribute to eye puffiness in case they contain formaldehyde. This is a product that leads to the swelling of the eyes. Choose products that are free of this product. In case you are not certain what may be containing it, find out by eliminating each product until you settle on one.
- Choose soaps that are hypoallergenic and fragrance free to prevent puffy eyes.
- Ensure that the bedroom is free from animal dander, dust and pollen. Any objects that collect dust should be kept away. Also ensure that the sheets are regularly cleaned.
- To get rid of puffy eyes over the long while, it is important to drink enough water. A well hydrated body has lower chances of water retention in any part of the body. The water will also help to flush out toxins from the body. Ensure you drink between eight to ten glasses of water daily.
- Where there are no obvious reasons for eye puffiness or if it is accompanied by blurry vision, pain and discomfort, it is important to visit a doctor immediately.