No matter how frizzy your hair can get, these home remedies for frizzy hair using easily available natural treatments is what you need to keep your hair shiny, soft and easy to style. Frizzy hair tends to be naturally dry and absorbs humid air. The main cause is dryness- high humidity, heat and certain chemicals that make it even harder to keep your hair smooth. Fortunately, the following natural ingredients can help you fix the problem in a natural way.
Natural Remedies for Frizzy Hair
Frizzy hair is a common problem and by far the most frustrating in hair care. It can be a daily hassle or an occasional problem for some people. Hair that is curly or wavy tends to get more frizzes due to the natural hair structure. Therefore, home remedies for frizzy hair need be more on nourishing, conditioning and moisturizing.
What causes frizzy hair? The main cause of frizzy hair is dryness. Hair is made of three layers and many cells. The outer layer is called the cuticle and its looks like a grid of tiles under a microscope. The main purpose of cuticles is to protect the hair cortex and should normally lie flat- this is what gives your hair a silky smooth appearance. The hair cuticles require moisture to keep them smooth. Lack of moisture, chemical damage, heat styling and swimming in chlorinated water causes the ruffle up and give your hair that frizzy messy look.
To keep hair frizz free, you need to visit the salon or spa more frequently than those with other types of hair. This may however not be the best option as it is not affordable for most people. It is also not favorable for natural hair lovers.
If you are looking for how to stop frizzy hair, you should be glad to know that there is something you can do about it. Home remedies for frizzy hair are natural inexpensive at home treatments that get rid of frizz to give you healthy, smooth and glossy hair.
Avocado and Olive Oil mask
The commonest of all home remedies for frizzy hair- avocado and olive oil hair mask is an all-natural hair conditioner as they both have excellent hydrating benefits. Olive oil softens frizz and split ends leaving your hair smooth and shiny while avocado contains biotin- a vitamin that makes hair stronger. It is the best home treatment for dry frizzy damaged hair.
- Mash a ripe avocado and add some olive oil
- Whip the two together to make avocado-olive oil hair mask
- After shampooing hair, apply the mask to your hair and massage to fully cover hair
- Leave it for 45 minutes
- Rinse your hair thoroughly and use a conditioner to get rid of the avocado smell
- Do this twice a week to prevent dryness for frizz free hair
Hot Oil Massage
Oil is a great way to deeply condition for frizzy hair control. It repairs hair damage and make hair more smooth and manageable. Olive oil is the most recommended for hot oil treatments but you can also use sunflower oil or almond oil in the same way with great hair benefits.
- Warm olive oil in an oven, pan or in bottle of hot water
- Rub the oil on your scalp and all through your hair while massaging gently
- Cover your head with a plastic cap and leave it for 30 minutes
- Wash with a mild shampoo
Your hair should be smoother and easy to style. Hot oil treatments can be done once or twice a month to treat dry dull frizzy hair. Hot oil treatments can also be bought prepackaged from the store but it is always good to make your own.
NOTE: Do not leave hot oil unattended. Allow hot oil to cool down to a manageable temperature to avoid scalding.
Coconut Oil, Moroccan Oil for Curly Frizzy Hair and Split Ends
These two make the best home remedies for frizzy hair that is curly or wavy. It is a great way to keep frizzy hair, manageable, silky and well- conditioned. Argan or Moroccan oil maintains hair luster smoothness and controls frizz. Coconut oil on the other hand reduces protein loss to repair frizzy hair and split ends. These oils can be used before, during or after shampooing to keep your hair frizz free.
- Apply the oil of your choice generously to the scalp and rub gently to spread
- Massage the scalp for 5 minutes
- Move to the strands and add more oil as required
- Let it sit for at least 30 minutes then wash off with mild shampoo
Simply mix oil with shampoo and or conditioner in equal parts to make homemade shampoo and homemade conditioner.
Applying oil as a leave in treatment requires very little of it lest your hair will be all greasy and tangled. Just use a small amount of oil on the ends to get rid of dryness. Argan oil is the best option for a leave in oil treatment as coconut oil tends to clamp together and may make your hair all messy and dirty.
Mayonnaise Treatment for Frizz Due to Perm and Humidity
Mayonnaise hair treatment is the best remedy for matted frizzy hair due to humidity. It is moisturizing and will help restore frizzy hair. Mayo home treatment locks in moisture and softens brittle frizzy hair.
- Dampen your hair using warm water
- Scoop some mayo and rub it through your hair and into the scalp
- Wrap your head in a plastic paper wrap or shower cap
- Leave it on for 30 minutes or longer depending on how bad your hair is
- Wash the mayo treatment out using a mild shampoo
Alternatively, you can add a tablespoon of olive oil, an egg yolk and one tablespoon of lemon juice to the mayonnaise treatment for more benefits. Use mayo treatment to treat hair damage and frizz due to perm.
Banana for Dry, Frizzy Straight Hair
Bananas have long been used for hair due to their moisturizing properties. They give hair a natural shine and luster. Using bananas hair mask can help you tame dull frizzy straight hair and make your bad hair days better.
- Mash 1 ripe banana with a fork until there are no visible lumps
- Add in ¼ cup of yogurt, 2 tablespoons each of honey and olive oil
- Apply this mask through your hair and massage into the scalp
- Wrap with a shower cap and leave it for 30 minutes
- Rinse and use a mild shampoo to wash off
- Repeat this treatment once every week
Banana masks are very effective and will give you an immediate feel of soft silky hair which looks lustrous and shiny. Bananas keep hair healthy and hydrated- regular use can increase the moisture content of your hair and smooth frizz.
Eggs for Removing Frizz in Hair
Eggs are natural protein rich treatments and one of the most popular home remedy for frizzy hair. Eggs contain healthy fats. They can be used alongside olive oil which acts as an emollient and helps to lock in moisture.
- Mix ½ a cup of olive oil with one raw egg
- Apply it to the hair and massage it to spread
- Leave it on for 30 minutes
- Rinse, shampoo and condition as usual
Hair Rinses for Frizzy Hair after Shower
Honey is a natural humectant meaning that it can naturally attract and hold on to molecules of water, keeping your hair moist and easy to manage. It can be used in many anti frizz home remedies. However, the easiest way is to use it after shower on freshly shampooed hair.
- Simply, mix 1 tablespoon of honey with water
- Pour it through your hair while still wet
- Condition and style as usual.
You can use honey rinses every time you shampoo your hair to nourish your hair and eliminate dryness.
Carbonated water helps to get rid of frizz caused by humidity. Carbonated water reduces frizz because of its low PH level. A low PH makes the cuticle layers lie flat preventing moisture loss and giving your hair that smooth look. After washing hair, give it a final rinse of carbonated water.
Beer is another great hair rinse that effectively combats frizz. Beer is known to replenish moisture and also nourishes hair with essential nutrients, minerals and antioxidants. The darker the beer you use, the better the results.
- Coat your hair with beer
- Allow it to sit for a few minutes
- Rinse off with cold water
- Do this every two weeks
- Alternatively, you can mix equal parts of beer with shampoo and conditioner to make a homemade beer shampoo and conditioner respectively.
Apple Cider Vinegar
ACV hair rinses are great home treatments for frizzy thick curly hair.
- Use cotton wool to dab ACV directly onto your scalp. Comb gently using a wide toothed comb to distribute the ACV. Let it sit for 15 minutes and rinse thoroughly.
- Mix AC with water in equal parts. This lowers the acidic PH of ACV. Wash your hair as usual then use ACV as a final rinse. This will improve shine and leave your hair frizz free. You can use ACV rinses every 2-4 weeks.
Lemon Hair Rinse
This home remedy helps to get rid of build-up and overall dryness. It helps to revive hair and get rid of dullness in frizzy hair. Dilute lemon with water in equal parts and use it as a final rinse after washing your hair.
Yogurt for Dull Brittle Frizzy Hair
Yogurt has lactic acid which cleanses hair getting rid of dandruff and cue itchy scalp. It also has cooling properties. Yogurt moisturizes dry dull hair and gets rid of frizz allowing you to style and manage your hair better. Yogurt also helps to define curls making it the best home treatment for frizzy curly hair.
- Whisk one egg until frothy
- Add in ½ a cup of plain yogurt and 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- On freshly washed damp hair, apply this mixture and leave it for 15 minutes
- Shampoo and condition as usual
Home Remedies for Frizzy Curly Hair
Curly hair is generally viewed as voluminous, elastic and beautiful but it can sure get wild and dry making it very difficult to manage and style. The biggest problem with curly hair tends to frizz when exposed to highly humid environment. It is prone to split ends and breaks easily. This says that when managing curly hair, it is best to focus of conditioning to smoothen and soften frizzy curls.
How to Get Rid of Frizzy Hair with Fenugreek Seeds
This is best treatment for frizzy curly hair. Fenugreek seeds are rich in nicotinic acid, protein and vitamin C. The lecithin in fenugreek seeds in a natural emollient that hydrates hair excellently to reduce frizz and add a healthy bounce to your hair. Here is how to get rid of frizzy hair with fenugreek seeds:
- Soak fenugreek seeds in water overnight
- In the morning, grind the softened seeds to make a paste
- Add in some yogurt to make a hair mask
- Apply this to your hair and leave it for 30 minutes
- Rinse off and wash your hair with mild shampoo
- Do this once every week and reduce the frequency as your hair gets better
Home remedies for frizzy wavy hair are the same as those that work on curly hair. They should be able to moisturize and restore natural elasticity of curly hair making it easier to style and manage.
Best Home Remedies for Dry Frizzy Hair
Dry frizzy hair appears dull, rough and brittle. When looking for what to use on dry frizzy hair, nourishment and moisturizing should be key in all remedies. Cleansing and deeply moisturizing remedies are favorable as they help get rid of buildup and deeply moisturize hair to make it smooth and frizz free.
Aloe Vera Gel for Dry Frizzy Hair
Aloe Vera is the most common of all home remedies for dry frizzy hair as it cleanses, gets rid of dandruff and soothe itchy scalp. It has emollient, humectant and moisturizing properties which help smooth the surface of the cuticle, attracts and seals in moisture. It is also rich in minerals and can be used as a homemade leave in conditioner before using styling products.
- Massage fresh aloe Vera gel onto hair and scalp
- Leave it for 15 minutes
- Rinse off with cool water and wash with mild shampoo
- Alternatively, mix 2 tablespoons of aloe Vera gel and 2 tablespoon of coconut oil and 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt to make a paste. Apply this to your hair and leave it on for 30 minutes. Rinse off with lukewarm water. Do this twice weekly to moisturize and manage dry frizzy ends.
Tips to prevent frizzy hair:
- Stay hydrated- drink lots of water
- Avoid touching your hair frequently
- Avoid wetting your hair in the rain; wet hair leads to frizz.
- Use chlorine free and harsh mineral free water
- Avoid alcohol based products and use sulfate free shampoo
- Use hair products with SPF to protect your hair
- Use more conditioner on your hair and scalp than shampoo
- Do not shampoo every day. Shampoo dries out hair
- Avoid heat styling with blow driers, flat irons and curlers
- Do not rinse hair with hot water. Use cold water – it helps lock in moisture and keep hair less frizzy
- Avoid rubbing on your hair with a towel. Gently squeeze your hair using a hand towel from the ends to the roots
Home remedies for frizzy hair are affordable, easy to use and allow you to mix up any ingredients to come up with a remedy that works well for your hair. Even better- isn’t it great taking up all that yumminess into your hair?