Every person experiences dry skin at some point in life. This makes the knowledge of home remedies for dry skin important as it enables you to make use of what is available at a particular time to restore the skin’s health. The home remedies include natural remedies, herbal and homeopathic remedies. These are easy to make and use. They are also readily available and therefore cheap. The wide range of home products available gives you variety to choose from.
Dry skin can be embarrassing despite it being quite common. Most people will face this problem at some point of their life. This is because we are regularly experiencing constant weather changes, pollution, and various skin conditions which leave the skin sensitive and dry. When the skin is dry, it is dehydrated. As a result it loses its flexibility, becomes itchy, scaly and cracked. This problem is mostly experienced in the winter as the air becomes dry.
Genetics, nutritional deficiencies and aging could also contribute to dry skin. Although there are many over the counter products meant to deal with dry skin, these come with a price tag.
Home Remedies for Dry Skin
Using home remedies for dry skin is not only effective but also cheap. We explore some of these and how to use them to alleviate symptoms of dry skin.
This contains antioxidants as well as healthy fatty acids. These are great for dry skin and will get rid of dryness on any part of the body. There are different ways of incorporating it into your daily skin care.
- Dab a thin extra virgin olive oil layer before applying the regular moisturizer.
- Lightly rub and massage some olive oil on areas suffering dry skin about 30 minutes before taking a shower. Once done with the shower, apply a light moisturizer to keep the skin well hydrated.
- Add olive oil to an equal amount of brown sugar. Use this as a scrub on dry skin and massage it on with light motions. Shower normally and apply a moisturizer after that.
Milk and milk products contain lactic acid which helps them to exfoliate dry skin masking them great severe dry skin remedies
. Milk helps to preserve the skin’s pH level. Plain milk contains soothing and anti-inflammatory agents. These will greatly help get rid of itchy dry skin. Its exfoliating properties will enhance the skin’s moisture retention abilities and lighten your complexion in the long run. While both powdered and whole milk work in hydrating the skin, whole milk is recommended because it contains more fats
- Soak a sterile face cloth in cold water and put this on the affected skin for five minutes. Soak another piece of cloth in warm water and use it to wash off the milk repeat this each day to give the skin ability to retain moisture.
- Mix four tablespoons of milk with a few drops of lemon juice and rose water. Rub the resulting paste all over the dry skin, leave it on for 10 minutes before rinsing it off with cold water. The procedure can be done twice each day.
Milk cream acts as a great moisturizer and helps to soothe the skin.
- Get two teaspoons of milk cream and add a few drops of lemon juice to it. Rub this mixture on legs, hands or any other area of treatment and leave it on for a while. Take a shower after this.
- Make a paste using four tablespoons of baking soda and milk cream that will be enough to make a consistent paste. Apply this on face, the hands and legs and leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse off using warm water and repeat procedure each day.
Yoghurt acts as a hydrating agent for the skin. It also acts as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agent. These help to soothe itch and dry skin. The lactic acid in it also helps to rid the skin off bacteria and germs which may be causing itchiness and dryness.
- Rub fresh yoghurt on your hands and apply it on your face, hands and legs. Gently massage it in and leave it on for about 10 minutes. Shower or take a bath after this. The yoghurt will exfoliate the skin and leave it refreshed.
- You could also use yoghurt with papaya. Add three tablespoons of mashed papaya to half a cup yoghurt. Add a teaspoon of honey and a few drops of lemon juice. Apply this mask on the skin and allow it to sit for 10 minutes before washing off. This can be done once every week.
The use of honey for moisturizing the skin is one of the many ways to use honey to pamper your skin
. It has great qualities that make it a perfect product for dry skin. It contains antimicrobial and antioxidant agents. It is a natural moisturizer and a humectant which allows it to draw and lock in moisture leaving your skin extra smooth and soft. It also contains minerals and vitamins which are essential for the health of the skin.
- Rub honey over the areas with dry skin before taking a shower. Do this at least 10 minutes earlier and repeat daily.
- To make an effective home remedy, mix beeswax, unprocessed honey and olive oil in equal portions. Melt the wax in a pan and mix it with the rest. Apply the mixture on your skin leaving it on for at least 10 minutes. Take a shower after that and repeat procedure each day.
Coconut oil contains fatty acids that help to make up for any moisture lost from the skin. It can be used to treat dry skin.
- Warm some coconut oil to liquefy it and rub it all over your body. Do this at night before going to bed and leave it on till morning when you wash it off. Repeat the process daily until a soft and smooth skin is attained.
- Take a warm bath and once done apply coconut oil on the parts of the skin that are dry. This enables the skin to absorb the oil as the skin is still warm and supple. This protects it from further drying.
Avocado Has Vitamins for Dry Skin Relief
This is full of antioxidants, fatty acids and healthy vitamins for dry skin
. Vitamin A repairs and maintains the health of the skin. This helps to restore its silky and smooth nature with time.
- Mash up ripe avocado pulp to make a smooth paste. Rub this on the dry skin and let it sit for 15 minutes. Use cold water to rinse it off and repeat procedure each day.
- Mash half a ripe avocado and mix it up with half a cup of honey. Apply this on the affected skin and leave it on for at least 10 minutes. Use the mask twice every week.
- Take a glass of an avocado smoothie daily for an inside out approach. This will increase healthy fats in your body which will keep the skin well moisturized.
This is an excellent source of vitamin E. It is a great lubricator and an emollient for dry skin. It also contains antioxidant agents making it great for dry skin. The fact that it is non-greasy makes it easily absorbed by the skin.
- Warm up some pure almond oil and massage it lightly using circular motions on your body. Let the oil sink in for 30 minutes before taking a shower.
- Add a teaspoon of almond oil to a glass of milk and take this before going to bed. Do this every day to better the state of your skin.
This has antiseptic, antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties. These will help to soothe and combat dry skin, prevent further flaking and get rid of skin irritation on legs and on hands
. Aloe vera will moisturize the skin and protect it from impurities that may be causing the skin to dry.
- Squeeze out aloe vera juice from a freshly cut leaf.
- Apply this on the dry skin and leave it on for 15 minutes
- Use lukewarm water to rinse it off and repeat procedure daily.
Natural Remedies for Dry Skin
Apart from the remedies discussed above which may require some procedure to be used on the skin, there also are natural remedies for dry skin. These can be used as they are found existing without undergoing any processes. They are equally effective and can be used on face, feet and hands as well as any other part of the skin that may be experiencing dryness.
Coconut milk reduces dryness and is also a great home remedy for dark circles and blemishes. Rub it on the face and leave it on over the night. Rinse it off in the morning. Coconut oil can also be used to offer the skin some oil therapy which is important for dry skin. The most dry and itchy skin parts tend to be elbows, heels and hands. Give them an overnight coconut oil treatment for great improvement.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Where you are experiencing itchy and dry skin patches
, dabbing some vinegar on the spots can help to treat it. Use a cotton ball soaked in vinegar to rinse off the area. In case of large skin areas being dry, soak in a bath with three cups of vinegar added to it for 30 minutes.
Oatmeal is a great dry skin remedy. The treatment is high in proteins and will leave a protective barrier on your skin. This helps to prevent loss of water while at the same time enhancing its retention. Also present in this remedy are anti-inflammatory as well as antioxidant agents. These are great for the skin’s overall health. Fill the bathtub with warm water and pour a cup full of oatmeal into it. Add to it few drops of lavender oil. Soak in it for 30 minutes and repeat once a week.
Bananas can make great face masks. Mix a mashed ripe banana and a cup of ground oatmeal. Add some lukewarm milk to make a consistent paste. Apply this on the skin and leave it on to dry for 10 minutes. Use cold water to rinse it off once it has dried up.
Essential oils contain anti-inflammatory and soothing elements. These have the ability to relieve irritations and alleviate itchy skin. They can be used directly on the skin or added to bath water. Some of these oils include rosemary, nettle, neem, and lavender, chamomile, thyme, peppermint, basil and calendula oils.
Cold water and itch are said to travel along the same nerves. As such, cold water can be used to get rid of itch. Take a cold shower or bath to get rid of itch on dry skin. Ice packs can also be used for instant relief from itch.
Glycerin is a humectant and will thus draw water from the surrounding and attract it to the skin. It also has a cooling effect. Apply it generously on the skin for relief from extremely dry skin.
Baking Soda Bath
A baking soda bath for at least 30 minutes will be beneficial to dry skin. Add a cup of baking soda to warm water in a tub. After you are done having a bath, pat your skin dry or air dry it. For localized effects and to soothe itching, add one part of water to three parts of baking soda. Apply this on affected area.
There are some herbs that are known for being great home remedies for severe dry skin
. These are effective in alleviating dry skin. They possess different properties that are beneficial in restoring the health of the skin. Some of these are:
This contains a topical anesthetic.
- Add dried basil leaves to a cup of boiling water.
- Allow this to steep while covered to retain the aroma.
- Once the tea has cooled, dip a clean piece of cloth in it and apply to dry and itchy parts of the skin.
This has menthol which contains anti-inflammatory properties. To treat the skin, it can be made for topical use.
- Add a tablespoon of dry mint leaves into a cup of boiling water.
- Cover this up and leave it to cool.
- Strain the mixture and use a clean piece of cloth to apply the tea on the itchy dry skin.
This as well has anesthetic and anti-inflammatory properties. It will get rid of the itch and reduce any inflammation that may have resulted from scratching. Make some thyme tea with dried thyme leaves and boiling water. Cover it up and allow to cool before straining. Use a clean piece of cloth to apply it on the affected part of the skin.
Homeopathic Remedies for Dry Skin
Homeopathic medicine has a long history. It is based on the concept that like remedies can cure like diseases. As such any substance that causes certain symptoms in a healthy individual can be used in minute dosages to cure a sick person off the same symptoms. Some of the homeopathic remedies for dry skin include:
- Arsenicum Album: This will get rid of dry skin that is burning.
- Belladonna: Burning hot dry skin will benefit greatly from this.
- Sepia: This is recommended for extremely dry skin treatment including dry skin that is painful, itchy and discolored.
When using these remedies, it is important to observe some general directions in addition to those given by the homeopath for them to work.
- For at least 15 minutes before and after taking the remedy, do not take any other substance. Foods and drinks such as mint and coffee tend to interfere with homeopathic remedies for dry skin.
- Store the remedies away from electric devices, strong smelling substances, extreme cold and heat.
- Always leave the remedy to dissolve under the tongue.