Are you looking for effective home remedies for damaged hair? Dry damaged hair is a problem for men and women alike. Heat styling and chemical treatments and some hair products are among causes of dry and damaged hair. These home remedies for damaged hair range from rich natural oils, essential oils, plants and teas. They are effective, easy to use and come with fewer or no side effects at all helping you grow your hair stronger, fuller and longer.
Home Remedies for Dry Damaged Hair
Most times, people dye hair, use heat styling and hair products but end up hating on the effects that these things have on our hair. There are many different ways we can damage our hair, whether it’s from long hours in the sun, a swim in the pool, using harsh alcohol based products or lack of moisture in the hair.
Hair becomes more damaged due to coloring, heat treatments, styling, over-brushing and holding up hair in tight ponytails or braids. Dry damaged hair looks dull and with no luster. Other signs of damaged hair include, split ends, easy breakage and coarseness. It also tangles easily and becomes difficult to manage.
With so many hair products out there, it is so hard to tell which ones really work. Home remedies for damaged hair, rejuvenate, moisturize and add a healthy shine to your hair. If you have dry unmanageable hair, here are effective home remedies for dry damaged hair repair to help you take care of your hair better.
Black Tea to Repair Damaged Hair
Tea is atop the list of home remedies for damaged hair. There are various ways in which you can use to tea to restore your hair’s health. Tea can be used both internally and externallyfor the restore shine, stop hair loss and stimulate healthy hair growth by eliminating dandruff, regulating the production of oil and preventing split ends.
- Prepare a cup of tea by placing a tea bag in hot water
- Wait for 10 minutes for the tea bag to absorb
- Allow it to cool at room temperature
- Pour it on your hair and use your fingers to gently massage through and spread it all over your hair
- Let it sit for 30 minutes
- Rinse off water. Do this twice weekly for best results.
Black tea is rich in antioxidants that repair chemically treated hair and protect the hair from sun damage. Other teas you can use as home remedies for damaged hair are: chamomile tea, peppermint tea, sage and rosemary.
Avocado Treatment for Dry Hair Due to Straightening
Avocado is a great treat for home treatment for damaged hair. It is rich in vitamins, proteins, natural oils and essential fatty acids that dry damaged hair. It hydrates, softens and restores the natural elasticity of hair.
- Mash ripe avocado to a pulp and add 2 teaspoon of olive oil
- Blend the two to make a thin consistency
- Apply it to hair and spread it through to cover all parts
- Leave it for an hour and wash out with cool water
- Mash a ripe avocado and mayonnaise
- Add in some coconut milk to thin the paste
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and massage using your fingers
- Let it sit for 45 minutes to 1 hour, rinse off with lukewarm water and shampoo as usual
Use avocado treatments once a week for healthy-shiny hair. You can also use egg yolk and yogurt with avocado in the same way to repair dry damaged ends due to straightening.
Olive Oil Remedy
Olive oil is one of the best home remedies for damaged hair. It is easy to use and can be used in different recipe making it a go to DIY home treatment for dry damaged hair. Olive oil is also rich in vitamin E, antioxidants and fatty acids seal in moisture and help to heal damaged hair and prevent further damage.
- Warm olive oil and apply it to the scalp
- Use your fingers to massage it through to the scalp
- Cover you hair with a warm towel and leave it for at least 45 minutes
- Shampoo and condition your hair as usual
- Do this once a week for best results
- Mix ¼ cup of olive oil and ½ a cup of honey
- Warm it a little and apply to hair
- Let it sit for 30 minutes and rinse out well with warm water
- Shampoo your hair as usual
Olive oil can be used with egg, cucumber or yogurt to make a deep conditioning hair mask for dry damaged hair.
Aloe Vera for Split Ends
Aloe Vera is a plant that is rich in enzymes and has humectant properties making it an excellent remedy for treating dry damaged hair. It also contains oils, amino acids and vitamin C and E. It deeply conditions to repair split ends and also gets rid of dandruff and other dry itchy scalp conditions.
- Mix aloe Vera gel with an essential oil of your choice. Massage this mixture through your hair strands to the scalp. Leave it for 20-30 minutes. Rinse your hair and then wash with a mild shampoo.
- Alternatively, mix 4 tablespoons of aloe Vera gel, 2 tablespoons of coconut oil and 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Mix well and apply onto hair. Let it sit for45 minutes and rinse off with mild shampoo.
Aloe Vera can be used in these ways every time you wash your hair or at least once a week for healthy hair. You can also use pure aloe Vera gel by applying it directly onto hair for a deep hydrating feel.
Banana Hair Mask
Ripe bananas have deep conditioning and moisturizing properties that make it a great DIY homemade conditioner for dry damaged hair. Bananas can be used as a base to make different hair masks that have many benefits for your hair.
- Mash ripe bananas to make a pulp and apply it through your hair massaging thoroughly. Leave it for 45 minutes and rinse off with warm water.
- Cut a banana into pieces and place it in a bowl. Add 2 tablespoons of coconut milk; add 1 tablespoons of coconut oil and 2 tablespoons of honey. Mix these contents in a blender to make a smooth paste with no banana chunks. On damp hair, apply this mixture and massage it through hair then wear a plastic cap. Leave it for 30 minutes. Rinse out with cool water and wash with mild shampoo.
Banana hair masks for dry damaged hair are highly recommended by Dr. Oz for healthy lustrous hair.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a great treatment for hair. It has many benefits for hair that restore hair, leaving it soft, moisturized and shiny. It is a natural cleanser, clarifying hair conditioner that improves hair porosity and gets rid of tangles. ACV balances PH, prevents split ends, treats dry itchy scalp and stops hair loss.
- Mix 1 cup of ACV with 3 cups of water
- Use this mixture as a hair rinse after conditioning your hair
- Allow it to sit for 5 minutes
- Rinse out with warm water and towel- dry your hair
- Do this once a month for soft, shiny hair
NOTE: Be careful not to get ACV into your eyes. Apple cider vinegar should not be used more than once every 2 weeks since it can cause extreme dryness. For best results, you can steep herbs into the vinegar rinse. Calendula, chamomile and nettle have moisturizing properties and make a great addition to your ACV home remedy for dry hair.
Dry damaged hair can be nerve wrecking and difficult to manage. Essential oils such as sandalwood stimulate the sebaceous glands to produce more oil making hair feel softer and look shinier. Routinely using them as home remedies for damaged hair can reduce breakage and revive your hair.
- Mix a few drops of sandalwood with jojoba oil or olive oil
- Rub the mixture between your palms and smooth it through to the hair ends
- Alternatively, you can add a few drops of sandalwood into rinsing water to give your hair a fresh fragrance
Other essential oils that can be used for home treatment of dry hair that is getting damaged include: clary sage, argan, rosemary, almond and lavender oils. Essential oils may have to be diluted as they can cause irritation in people with sensitive scalp.
Beer for Hair
Beer clarifies and conditions hair getting rid of build-up and repair damaged hair follicles and cuticles. Let the beer go flat before using it on your hair. If you are thinking about the smell, do not worry- the smell goes away as the hair dries. Just allow your hair to naturally dry.
- Mix half a cup of beer with sunflower oil and one raw egg
- On pre-washed and naturally dried hair, apply the mixture and massage through with your fingers
- Let it sit for 20 minutes and rinse off with cool water and then shampoo it again
- Do this every two weeks
- To clean dry hair, pour flat beer into a spray bottle and apply it to clean dry hair. You do not have to rinse for this method.
Home Remedies for Damaged Bleached Hair
If you are looking for how to fix damaged bleached hair, this is for you. Bleaching is one of the commonest ways in which we damage our hair. Bleach is very harsh- it strips hair off its natural moisture, makes it brittle and easy to break. According to the “hair doctor’- Philip Kingsley, bleach is potentially the most damaging of all hair coloring methods. It makes hair dry, brittle and inelastic making it more prone to split ends and breakage.
Home remedies for damaged bleached hair revive hair, replace moisture and rejuvenate with rich nutrients that stimulate healthy hair growth and prevent hair fall.
Egg and Milk
To treat bleach damaged hair, egg and milk is a popular remedy that nourished dry hair, restores elasticity and gives your hair an attractive shine.
- Beat a number of eggs depending on the length of hair
- Add in some milk and olive oil
- Apply this onto your hair and massage through with fingers
- Let it sit for at least 30 minutes before rinsing off with cool water
- Rose water can be added to this for an extra glow or shine
Mayonnaise and Avocado Mask
Simply mix full fat mayo with half mashed avocado. Apply it onto hair and let it sit for 20 minutes before rinsing off with cool water.
Natural Remedies for Damaged Hair
If you have been experiencing signs of hair damage such as brittleness, split ends and easy breaking, you should consider repairing it before it gets worse. The one thing you can do for damaged bleached hair is give it a break from all harsh hair products. Chemicals in some hair products can aggravate the problem. Natural hair treatments for damaged hair replenish lost oils and prevent further damage and breakage. There are several natural remedies for damaged hair that can help keep your hair in moisture check. Here is how to repair damaged hair naturally.
Brush Hair Less
Over brushing your hair can damage your hair cuticle. It leads to more split ends and hair breakage. Brush your hair less often just enough to get rid of the tangles. It is recommended that you choose to use a comb over a brush.
Protect Your Hair from the Sun
With prolonged sun exposure, UVA and UVB can damage the hair cuticle. Sun damage on hair presents as discoloration, dry brittle strands and split ends. Sun damaged hair feels dry; it’s unmanageable and difficult to style. People with fine hair and African American are at more risk of getting their hair sun damaged. Wear protective hats and rinse out chlorinated pool water with clear water.
Get a Trim
One of the natural ways you can use to fix damaged hair is getting a trim to remove the damaged hair ends. Cutting straw like textured split ends will immediately make it look better and restore volume. Trimming also gives room for newer healthier hair to grow. Use a sharp scissors and cut off as much as you can dare. To prevent formation of split ends, go low on heat treatments and use a wide toothed comb to brush your hair.
Let your Hair Down
Ponytails are sure convenient and useful but you should not pull on your hairline too tight. They pull on the delicate hairs at the front hairline and make the strands more susceptible to damage. Continued pulling on hair with tight ponytails and braids can lead to permanent hair loss around the hairline or inflammation around the hair follicle. If you must hold your hair up, make sure it is not too tight and it is loosely secured with metal free elastic band.
Do not wear hair up when wet and always wear your hair down when sleeping.
Hair has its natural oils and moisture that give it that healthy shiny look. Over washing your hair can strip your hair’s natural oils and moisture. Wash your hair less frequently to avoid damage to the hair cuticle.
How to Fix Damaged Colored Hair (Dyed Hair)
Bleaching hair weakens your hair leaving it dull and damaged over time. Damaged colored hair looks brittle, dry and easy to break. According to cbsnews.com, Highlights and semi-permanent hair dyes are not as damaging but also come with consequences. They change the structure of hair causing dryness and damage. Avoid blow drying on dyed hair as this makes the damage even worse.
Damaged Curly Hair
Curly hair tends to be drier than other types of hair and requires special attention. Damaged curly hair gets extremely dry, with many split ends and knots and it needs to be treated gently with lots of moisture replacement. Do not straighten your hair when wet, use a wide toothed comb and use heat less frequently as possible.
This gives your hair a break and more time to repair itself. Remember to use hair products that are specifically meant for curly hair. Damaged curly hair may take a good chunk of your time to get it back to its natural healthy state. Be patient!
Hair damage may be temporary and will sure grow back in no time. However, extremely damaged hair requires special attention and more effort. At home hair treatments infuse your hair with essential nutrients, oils and vitamins which over time revive damaged hair cells.
Most of the home remedies for damaged hair discussed above are excellent in hair care but may not work equally due to different hair structures and different levels of hair damage. It is also important to remember that to effectively repair dry hair, it is best to also eliminate the cause. This makes your efforts worthwhile.